Lots of releases and blog posts highlights this two week edition!
The Ratpack team is using the big motor in the release process, having released versions 1.3.0, 1.3.1, 1.3.2, and 1.3.3.
The release notes for 1.3.0 are the interesting ones, as the other bugfix releases
are upgrades to Netty and downgrade of Groovy to 2.4.4 due to a bug in Grab.
Juan Vazquez has shared code and slides from a Omaha Java Users meetup
with a Ratpack tutorial, also displaying an example on using Dropwizard metrics.
GORM has been updated to version 5.0.5, and with that provides support for Hibernate 5.1, and is included in the latest release of Grails, version
3.1.6. The Grails team has also released version
3.1.6 also has a change for plugins, where the Application class should implement GrailsPluginApplication interface. 3.0.17 is fixing a few minor bugs.
The Grails team has created a shared blog, and the first handfull of blog posts have been posted at
If you are using Twitter, there is now a new account with daily Groovy tips you should follow:@DailyGroovyLang
I doubt many who reads this is doubt of the awesomeness of Groovy, but if you need to convince anyone,
these slides on Apache Groovy: the language and the ecosystem
by Kostas Saidis and Agapios Avramidis provides a top list of reasons why to use Groovy.
Gradle 2.13 has been released, and comes with nice performance improvements, easier plugin development, and customizations for FindBugs and Checkstyle. See more in the
releasenotes, or in the
Schalk Cronjé has been busy presenting at conferences, and has shared slides on
Using the Groovy universe for rapid JVM dev,
and slides and
source code for "Cool Tools on the JVM to Help You Test",
the later including a demo on using Ratpack's TestHttpClient standalone.
Benoit Hediard has beta released several plugins fro Grails 3, which can assist you in working with AWS. He describes more in the blog post: AWS SDK Plugins for Grails 3
The GPars documentation has moved to the gpars.org website.
I've begun preparing my presentation for GR8Conf EU, I hope to see you there, tickets are still available at gr8conf.eu
Blogs, Articles, etc.
New Grails 3 Plugins
- http-requests-grails (0.1.3.BETA) The HTTP Requests Plugin provides the http-requests library and artefacts for filters and converters.
- retina-tag (3.0.0) Adds retina resolution image tag support for asset-pipeline.
- security-bridge (3.0.0) Defines a standard corss-plugin security bridge implementation for better decoupling of authentication in plugin heavy applications.
Updated Grails 3 Plugins
- console (2.0.5) A web-based Groovy console for interactive runtime application management and debugging.
- rendering (2.0.3) Grails rendering plugin
- geb (1.0.2) Grails geb plugin
- coffee-asset-pipeline (2.8.2) Adds coffeescript transpiling support to the jvm asset-pipeline plugin
- grails-gscripting (1.0.4) Run Groovy scripts in Grails
- sass-asset-pipeline (2.8.2)
- handlebars-asset-pipeline (2.8.2)
- ember-asset-pipeline (2.8.2) Compiles hbs or handlebars files for the asset-pipeline into the Ember.TEMPLATES cache
- less-asset-pipeline (2.8.2) LESS Compiler for the Asset-Pipeline
- asset-pipeline-grails (2.8.2) The Asset-Pipeline is a plugin used for managing and processing static assets in Grails applications. Asset-Pipeline functions include processi?
- grails-views (1.0.9) Grails Views
- views-gradle (1.0.9) Grails views-gradle plugin
- wkhtmltopdf (1.0.0.RC7) Grails wkhtmltopdf plugin
- distributed-lock (3.0.1) This plugin provides a framework and interface for a synchronization mechanism distributed to multiple server instances. In today
- asset-pipeline (3.2.1) Grails asset-pipeline plugin
- force-ssl (3.0.1) Creates a simple annotation to mark controller/actions as SSL restricted and performs the appropriate redirect.
- postgresql-extensions (4.6.6) This plugin provides hibernate user types to support for Postgresql Native Types like Array, HStore, JSON,
- spring-security-core (3.0.4) Grails spring-security-core plugin
- quartz (2.0.9) Grails quartz plugin
- karman-grails (0.9.21) Karman is a standardized / extensible interface plugin for dealing with various cloud services including Local, S3, and Openstack.
- redis-gorm (5.0.5) GORM - Grails Data Access Framework
- neo4j (5.0.5) GORM - Grails Data Access Framework
- mongodb (5.0.5) GORM for MongoDB
- hibernate5 (5.0.5) GORM - Grails Data Access Framework
- hibernate4 (5.0.5) GORM - Grails Data Access Framework
- hibernate3 (5.0.5) GORM - Grails Data Access Framework
- cassandra (5.0.5) GORM - Grails Data Access Framework
- cookie (2.0.5) Grails Cookie Plugin
- rabbitmq-native (3.2.0) A messaging plugin for Grails 3 using RabbitMQ. This plugin gives application authors a powerful framework to quickly get a scalable messagi?
- cxf (3.0.14) Grails CXF Plugin
- quartz-monitor (1.3) Grails quartz-monitor plugin
- spring-security-jaxrs (3.0.0) A plugin that allows the use of Spring Security features with JAX-RS resources.
- elasticsearch (220.127.116.11) Elasticsearch is a search server based on Lucene. It provides a distributed, multitenant-capable full-text search engine with an HTTP web inter?
- filterpane (3.0.6)
New Grails 2 Plugins
Grails Cloudinary Plugin
Simplifies the usage of the cloudinary service at http://cloudinary.com/ based on initial work created by Simon Buettner
Updated Grails 2 Plugins
A plugin that allows you to add attachments to domain classes in a generic manner.
Apache Tomcat plugin
Makes Tomcat the servlet container for Grails at development time
A web-based Groovy console for interactive runtime application management and debugging
Timezone Detection Plugin
Detects browser timezone and makes the information available in session. Also modifies the Grails dateFormat tag to use the user's current timezone.
This plugin provides integration with Slack by Incoming Webhooks
Provides a Wrapper for wkhtmltopdf, a simple shell utility to convert HTML to PDF using the WebKit rendering engine and Qt
Force SSL Plugin
Creates a simple annotation to mark controller/actions as SSL restricted and performs the appropriate redirect.
Asset Pipeline Plugin
Rabbitmq Native Plugin
The native RabbitMQ Grails plugin provides easily consumable messaging functionality.
Standalone App Runner
Runs a Grails application as a JAR file with an embedded Tomcat or Jetty server
Easy Custom XML and JSON Marshalling for Grails Converters
Easy registration and usage of custom XML and JSON marshallers supporting hierarchical config
Conferences and meetups
- Groovy Users of Minnesota: Codenarc Revisited, Minneapolis, Mn, May 10th, 2016.
- GR8conf Europe & Gradle Event, Copenhagen - Denmark, June 1st -3rd, 2016.
- Gradle Summit, Palo Alto - CA, June 23rd -24th, 2016.
- GR8conf US, Minneapolis - USA, July 27th - 29th, 2016.
- G3 Summit , Fort Lauderdale - USA, November 27th - December 1st, 2016.- CFP is open!